PCC speaks out on Code of Ethics
Katy Bourne, has spoken out in support of the College of Policing’s Code of Ethics for officers and police staff, which has been formally laid before Parliament today (15 July).The Code sets out what the high standards of behaviour within policing looks like and includes practical examples for officers and staff to use in their everyday jobs.Mrs Bourne said: “In developing and delivering the Code of Ethics the College has worked with police industry bodies and representatives including Police & Crime Commissioners. The Code sets out the expected standards for all police officers and staff, emphasising the importance of personal integrity and professional conduct and making it clear what happens when those expectations are not met.”
PCC Supports Proud Allies Conference
The Commissioner has shown her support today (14 July) for 'Proud Allies' - a scheme for Sussex and Surrey Police employees, who may not be LGBTQ themselves but who wish to show support and promote LGBTQ equality in the workplace. A conference, taking place...
Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, has been successful in securing £250,000 of funding from the Home Office that will directly help and support child victims of serious sexual assault and domestic abuse.Mrs Bourne was one of 37 PCCs who have been allocated funding from the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) following a rigorous evaluation process back in the Spring.
This week a cross-party consortium of three Police and Crime Commissioners (PCCs) in the South East has published a specification inviting organisations to tender for a contract that will provide improved support to victims of crime across the region.The commissioning framework, which was developed by the Sussex, Surrey and Thames Valley Police and Crime Commissioners, has been recognised as best practice by a further 18 PCCs – including the Mayor’s Office (MOPAC) – who have all added their names to the specification. This means one provider could operate a service for victims that stretches from Sussex to Durham.
The Sussex Police & Crime Panel has confirmed the appointment of Police & Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne’s proposed candidate, Giles York, to be the new Chief Constable of Sussex Police.The Panel conducted a confirmation hearing attended by Mr York and Mrs Bourne at its annual meeting on Friday (27 June), which was webcast live: http://www.eastsussex.public-i.tv/core/portal/home.
Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne has joined a cross-party group of commissioners campaigning against new laws governing taxis which they believe could put vulnerable passengers at risk.Mrs Bourne said: “There is a thriving night-time economy that goes hand-in-hand with the taxi and private hire business in many of the seaside towns in Sussex.
PCC questions Chief Constable about police response to unlicensed rave during this month’s Performance & Accountability Meeting
This month’s Performance & Accountability Meeting (PAM) will take place on Friday 20 June between Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, and Chief Constable, Giles York. The meeting, which will be webcast live from 1-3pm, will see the Commissioner question Mr York on police priorities and performance.Items on the agenda for Friday’s meeting include: Sussex Police’s response to the unlicensed rave at Devils Dyke last month; the reduction in the number of children in custody; the accuracy of crime data recording and officer fitness.
Over 60 local organisations have been awarded grants totalling almost £300,000 from the Safer in Sussex Community Fund. More than 90 applications were submitted for a share of the Fund, made available by the Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne.Local community groups, particularly those from the voluntary and community sector, were invited to submit bids for funding to support crime reduction and community safety initiatives.Successful bidders joined Mrs Bourne at a special ‘Celebration Showcase’ event at her office in Lewes on 19 June for an official cheque presentation.
Sussex Police are to use new extra protection arrangements for victims of domestic abuse following a successful pilot of the scheme in three other force areas. There are two parts to the initiative; Domestic Violence Protection Notices (DVPN) and Domestic Violence Protection Orders (DVPO). The system will become available for use from Thursday 12 June, the first day of the 2014 World Cup, when experience shows that domestic abuse incidents increase on the days of England matches.Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, said: “I am pleased to see these new protection arrangements being made available to officers in Sussex, particularly at a time when we know reports of domestic abuse typically increase. Crucially these powers will provide immediate emergency protection to victims of domestic abuse, when they need it most. I hope that investment in this area will not only contribute towards improved attrition rates, as victims will have the time and space to consider their options, but also to a faster and more efficient response from the police and partners who will be time-bound by the restrictions set out by these Protection Notices and Orders.”
Sussex Police are planning for a potential increase in domestic abuse incidents during and after some World Cup games this summer. Officers will be specifically tasked at peak times during and after England matches to help protect victims and families from abuse.Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, is backing the initiative: “Factors such as increased alcohol consumption and heightened emotions like celebration and rivalry during major sporting events can lead to unpleasant situations, particularly when expectations are dashed. That’s not blaming football, but there should be no excuse for domestic abuse, at any time.“Sussex Police is committed to tackling domestic abuse effectively and this is set out as a key priority in the Police and Crime Plan and the Force’s Operational Delivery Plan. This further drive should serve as a warning to potential abusers and give victims confidence that the police do and will continue to act on reports of domestic abuse.”